July 19, 2018

Understanding Academics: themed analysis (presentation at LIBER 2018)

Two weeks ago I presented our themed analysis from the Understanding Academics project at the LIBER conference in Lille. We've previously published our results from the project on what it means to be an academic at York. For this conference, we focused on the three main themes emerging from our research: skills, scholarship and space. These have now formed the basis of the new Library and Archives Strategy at York.

Michelle Blake and I will be publishing our full themed analysis shortly. In the meantime, you can get a flavour from these conference slides. Please get in touch if you'd like to chat through our results. We're always happy to talk about our work!

Vanya Gallimore
Academic Liaison Team Manager

June 06, 2018

Embedding UX and Ethnography at York

By Ned Potter, Academic Liaison Librarian

Michelle Blake and I presented at the amazing UXLibs IV Conference today, about our approach to trying to move into a more mature phase of UX - something truly embedded in the culture, rather than a bolt-on, a silo, or a fad.

I've adapted the slides below slightly to include more text on screen - hopefully this gives you some idea of how we've gone about things. Any questions, we're very happy to talk about it more...

March 15, 2018

RLUK presentation: Understanding Academics

Today I'm presenting at RLUK about our 18 month UX project, Understanding Academics. We're really proud of this project and what we've achieved with it. This speed presentation aims to provide an overview of the project and what it achieved.

We've already written about our UX activities a lot including this project. If you're interested you could look at some of our previous posts including our first post on the project, Understanding Academics UX project, and one detailing how we actually dealt with all the data the project created, Processing and ACTING ON 100+ hours of ethnography: a 5 stage approach.

There are also lots of other posts about our UX activities and we are in the process of writing an article which, when published, will be linked to from here.

And as always if you want to know more please get in touch with us.

Our article has now been published and you can view it for free via the White Rose Repository.

January 30, 2018

Running library induction like a marketing campaign

By Ned Potter, Academic Liaison Librarian 

Running Academic Library induction as a marketing campaign from Ned Potter

We won an award! York just received a Bronze Marketing Award from CILIP's Publicity and Public Relations Group at the annual PPRG Conference, held in Birmingham in January.

It was in relation to the work we'd done on our Induction project - in 2016 (and then this year as well) we got rid of the big orientation games, and ran it like a marketing campaign. It worked really well and we got a great response - some elements weren't successful and we improved on them this year.

The slides from my talk are above, or alternatively you can view a video below. This is the audio from my talk, with a version of the slides designed for the video instead of for face-to-face presenting - there's videos-with-the-video, and other things to make it a bit more interesting to watch...

It was a great conference. The other award winners had all done really good campaign marketing too, and this supports an idea I bang on about all the time, which is that it's campaign marketing that really works. The same message, tailored across multiple platforms, for a concerted period of time: that's what is required for marketing to be effective.

Thanks to the (soon to be renamed!) PPRG group for the award and the excellent event.